Greek “OXI” Day Parade
The Greek-Canadian Community commemorates Greek “OXI” Day on Sunday, October 29, 2023, at 1:30pm, with a festive parade in Toronto’s historic Greektown.
October 28, a day of national celebration in Greece, is remembered as the day Greek Prime Minister Ioannis Metaxas rejected an ultimatum from Italian dictator Benito Mussolini in Oct. 1940. It is named “OXI” Day in remembrance of the Greek resistance to the Italian invasion during World War II. We welcome one and all — especially, our children, inheritors of our traditions and future guarantors of these ideals.
The parade features Greek Schools, dance groups in ethnic costumes, Associations, and Orthodox Clergy from the Greater Toronto area.
The parade route proceeds from the corner of Danforth Ave and Donlands Ave up to Danforth Ave and Broadview Ave. The wreath laying ceremony will take place at the Alexander the Great Parkette at the corner of Danforth Ave and Logan Ave at 3:00pm.
All groups who would like to participate in our parade must complete the form below.
Mandatory Participation Fee:
Associations with active GCT membership: $100
All others: $200
For more information call the Parade Committee at 416-425-2485, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Greek “OXI” Day Parade
GREEK “OXI” DAY PARADE: OCTOBER 29, 2023
Parade Rules and Regulations
The Greek Community of Toronto appreciates your participation in the Parade and your cooperation in making it a successful community event.
All participants must check in by 12:30p.m. The parade will begin promptly at 1:30p.m.
The parade committee reserves the right to refuse to allow latecomers to march.
Items distributed during the parade
Waivers and Releases
No political promotion in the parade
Failure to adhere to these Rules and Regulations could mean unit ejection form the parade without refund and/or failure for group to participate in future parades.
• The parade will proceed, rain or shine. (Or snow.)
• You must find your own parking.
Check-In & Line-Up
• The parade will line up on the Corner of Euston Ave and Chatham Ave. Consult the marching list for your group’s place in the parade procession and check in at the check-in point for your clarification if needed. Look for your group’s leader. Please line up neatly. Follow the directions of the marshals, who will be wearing yellow jackets, and your group leader. Floats and other vehicles will be in a separate line. Do not line up with your group’s float or vehicle unless you are actually riding on the float/in the vehicle.
• The parade route is about 1.5km
Please continue past the reviewing stage on Danforth Ave and Chester Ave and do not stop on the street or block the route. The parade distance is 1.5km
• Authentic Greek costumes are encouraged if available. Some groups may order custom t-shirts, sweatshirts, or jackets. If costumes or uniforms are not available, we recommend a dark coat and tie for men and corresponding women’s attire. For children, we recommend a light sweater/shirt with navy or black pants or skirt. Blue jeans are highly discouraged. The most important thing is that your group looks neat and uniform.
• Alcohol, smoking, and throwing objects to the crowd are prohibited while marching. Pets/animals are also prohibited without advance permission.
• All groups wishing to include cars, floats, or other vehicles in their unit must notify the parade committee in advance, or the vehicle will not be allowed in the parade. All vehicles must be decorated. Float themes must be approved in advance. Vehicles must line up by 1:00 p.m., before marchers arrive.
Emergency Police and an ambulance will be on standby. Contact a parade marshal in a yellow vest.
More info Contact the parade committee at email@example.com
Thank you for your cooperation!