COMMUNITY LEGAL CLINIC - Select a Language: English | Greek
Date: Every third Saturday of the month
Time: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Place: 30 Thorncliffe Park Drive, Toronto
The Greek Community of Toronto Department of Social Services started out as a Social Services Centre in January 1977. Its first office, a store-front walk-in, was located at 756 Pape avenue, where three staff members and a handful of volunteers served 21 clients in the first month of its operation. Three decades later, the Department currently employs eight full-time workers and three part-time staff persons who serve over 10,000 clients a year.
The Department is funded by individual and corporate donors, all three levels of Government and the United Way. Volunteers and staff provide a wide variety of services in both Greek and English to the public.
The association, will provide members of the Greek Community access to lwegal information, brief advice and referrals in a linguistically and culturally sensitive environment. Services offered include:family; wills and estates; landlords and tenant advice; personal injury,criminal; pensions/benefits; debtor-creditor issues; bankruptcy/insolvency;civil and commercial issues; and notary public. It is hosted by the Greek Community of Toronto Department of Social Services and staffed by volunteer lawyers from the Hellenic Canadian Lawyers’ Association. Individuals will have the opportunity to speak to a lawyer and receive the following assistance:
- Help identify their legal problem or potential legal problems
- Provide information about their legal rights and what options they have to enforce those rights
- Provide information about available legal resources
- Provide referrals to organizations or lawyers that may able to assist them further.
- Help in drafting legal correspondence and commissioning legal documents, provided that there is enough time for the lawyer to review the issue properly